Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Black & White No. 18, 19, 20, 21 & 22






Just catching up, here. Monday I painted No. 18, 19 and 20 and today I did 21 and 22, so, I've been exceeding the "painting a day" ethic, here and there, lately. Sorry to all you daily painters out there. It's really not my intention to make you look like slackers. I've just worked out my process so I can work on up to four paintings at once, when I want to. Not using a traditional easel is part of it. As I've mentioned, I tape the paper to the wall (which is covered with plastic trash bags and newspaper to protect the wall finish) and the tape forms a margin around the image area on the originals (which is cropped out of the digital scan later, to facilitate the printing process). Anyway, I have enough wall area in the corner of the spare bedroom I use as my studio to accomodate a maximum of four sheets of 8.5"x11" paper side by side, as long as they're all arranged in portrait format, that is. By the way, you may have noticed that all of my work, with but rare exception, is in portrait format. Part of it is this setup, but I've also become accustomed to that format and enjoy the compositions I get with it. Besides, if you're doing work in series, as I am, it's a good idea to make each piece in the series as consistent as possible. The only break I've made in the Black & White series has been going from 14"x17" bristol board down to 8.5"x11" card stock, in order to accomodate my scanner bed's dimensions. Other than that and the compositions of the paintings themselves, they all share the same properties, at least from No. 12 onward, anyway. Had I conceived, from the beginning, of using my scanner instead of my 5 megapixel digital camera to capture my paintings with, they'd have all been 8.5"x11".

No comments: