Saturday, November 8, 2008

Black & White No. 12, 13, 14 & 15





After completing Green No. 3, the other day, I was reviewing my various series and decided it was time to return to one of my personal favorites, the Black & White series. It's perhaps my favorite because it reminds me most of one of my major influences, Franz Kline. Even though our strokes are different, as well as our techniques, and these works are at the other end of the size range, as well, Kline is most noted for his black and white paintings. I suppose it's their appeal to me that makes me want to paint in black and white, also. There is just something about being confined to only two colors that emphasizes form, shape, texture and value even more. These elements tend to become overwhelmed in color works because color, especially if it's brilliant and pure, tends to dominate. So, every once in a while, I feel the need to depart from the colors, to an extent (black and white are still colors, even if most people don't think so) and get back to tonal values and contrasts, which become most evident in black and white.

No comments: