Sunday, October 12, 2008

Blue & White No. 2



The day before I began this blog, I also began a new series of paintings in acrylic on paper, titled Blue & White. This is the second of the series, done last night. Another new series, Black & Orange, represents a departure from the technique I've been using in other series, in that, I'm working wet into wet instead of painting a ground and allowing it to dry before I proceed with what I call my "knifework."

My usual practice has been to use a brush for the ground, also, but in both Black & Orange and Blue & White, I've opted to use nothing but fluid acrylic, instead of fluid acrylic for the ground and tube colors for the knifework. So, I was working very wet into wet on these latest paintings, the first of which got pretty messy, but which was a lot of fun. It's a more spontaneous process, allowing for no drying time, thus it's quicker, more immediate and, thus, more in tune with the spirit of Abstract Expressionist painting.

As with most of my work, I'm doing iconic, sort of calligraphic strokes with one of two large putty knives I use. The whole idea is to create a spontaneous imagery, emanating from the subconscious and, hopefully, evoking an emotional response in the viewer. What that response is isn't as important to me as eliciting some response and each individual's response will depend upon their own unique personal experience.


No comments: