Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Blue & Purple



Sunday, I started a new series, Blue & Purple. This is Blue & Purple No. 1 and Blue & Purple No. 2. These are done entirely in fluid acrylic, hence the very slight difference in the look, from my usual paintings. The fluid acrylic, being thinner and runnier, tends to drip a bit more and, thus, calls for faster, more immediate action when applying to the paper. Also, being less viscous than the tube colors, there is almost no impasto - in fact, it's rather thin. Another difference between the fluid and tube colors is that, with these particular fluid colors I'm using, the paint dries flat, as opposed to glossy. So, overall, these are the factors that account for any noticeable differences.

Most of my small paintings on paper have been a combination of fluid and tube colors. I usually reserve the tube colors for the knifework, painting the ground in either all fluid acrylic, or in a combination of tube and fluid, depending upon what colors I'm using and whether or not I want more texture.

No comments: